Some time during it's lifetime, somebody thought it needed a fake marble top.
After chipping and scraping off the "marble", I used Citri-Strip to remove all the leftover glue. Under all the gunk was a perfectly beautiful top. The fake top had actually protected the wood!
At that point in the process, I know exactly what I would do with this piece of furniture. I had paint leftover from a recent bedroom makeover - Behr's Premium Plus in 'Venus Teal'. I used plaster of paris and water to mix up a nice, smooth, homemade chalk paint.
(No I was not drinking Margaritas. It was already empty)! Ask my supervisor:
The detailed carving lent itself beautifully to some distressing using my fancy tools:
I found the perfect spot in my bedroom. It's perfect and I love it! Thanks to my favorite MIL!!